Milestone Update: Sekiban redump verifies the need for restoration.

So, one of the many milestones I was trying to get to all these years has just happened.

I sent some 8M Packs to ikari_01 of snesfreaks (Details as to why him are a long story involving me taking responsibility for some issues with the crowdfunded 8M Pack purchases.) and something highly surprising came out of the result.

The good news? BS Zelda no Densetsu: Inishie no Sekiban Dai-1-wa has been redumped and it’s ROM is verified.

The bad news? BS Zelda no Densetsu: Inishie no Sekiban Dai-1-wa has been redumped and it’s ROM is verified.

If you need further explanation on that, here’s the AST page on the BS Zelda Homepage. The very reason the “restoration project” exists is because the original ROM releases had significant chunks of data not present, including the indoor tiles.

While I don’t know the origin of the four on the page, I do know this: The only difference between them on the site and this redump is a mere copier header. And y’know, those can be removed without incident, leading to…

That’s right: 100% IDENTICAL ROMs. Actually, this is baffling even by my standards… My main reason to hold the Sekiban ROMs suspect was the blanked-out date value in the BS-X headers, but for some reason this redump – which came out of my very own 8M Memory Pack – has this same issue! This probably explains the “scene” releases of the BS Marvelous ROMs, as well… I’ll need to report this to No-Intro and see what discussion happens on that.

I now have no reason to doubt the validity of the Sekiban dumps anymore… they are as good as it’s gonna get, missing data and all. It’s unfortunate… yet, at the same time, I feel like a weight was lifted from my shoulders. The burden of this duty is no longer hanging on my fandom-centered conscience.

Because of how the verification turned out, this milestone has been rather bittersweet for me. The BS Zeldas, obviously, introduced me to the Satellaview, and a part of me was hoping I could find a “more complete” Sekiban ROM dump. However, this redump tells me that this is simply impossible. The restorations on the BS Zelda Homepage may be the only way to play the games for the foreseeable future.
This also tells me that I should expect similar if I seek out Kodomo Chousadan Mighty Pockets Chousa 3, another ROM which seems to have incomplete portions and an early-game crash in emulation, which may be restorable but at the cost of data preservation.

Also, this has inspired me to do an update for the Sekiban ROMs restoration patch in Japanese… I know the Japanese audience wants to play these again, and I would be glad to help them to the best of my ability. Expect that on the blog in a mere few days, or even hours… written entirely in poorly machine-done Japanese. I need to practice that more.

I will put the redumped ROM up here for reference, even though it is identical down to the byte.

BS Zelda no Densetsu: Inishie no Sekiban – Dai-1-wa (Redumped and Verified) | BSゼルダの伝説 古代の石盤 第1話(検証ROM)
ROM Download

12 Comments »

1. Ethan said,

February 6, 2014 at 4:53 am

So, we have a redump of a BS Zelda ROM for the first time in… 15 years, give or take a couple.

February 6, 2014 at 8:58 am

Basically, yes.

It looks like a redump of a Map 1/Map 2 ROM would be a lot more useful, though.

3. JamesBond007 said,

February 6, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Does it mean that my theory made 2 years ago is correct? Original roms were buggy and without indoors, all missing stuff and bugfixes (most notably the staircase fix) were broadcasted over the satellite?

February 6, 2014 at 7:37 pm

“Buggy” is a bit of a misnomer there. The ROMs are buggy -now- because the data is incomplete, but the games were designed based on the assumption that the data was there in the first place. It’s not like they had to hot-patch anything.

Either way, it’s quite apparent that the data necessary to complete the game was simply stored elsewhere, out of reach of anyone who could ROM dump it.

5. anonymous said,

February 25, 2014 at 5:04 pm

What’s with blocking selection and right-clicking on this blog? I was trying to copy the name of the game to look it up in Google, and couldn’t easily do so. I had to bring up the inspector and copy it out of there.

You even block people with noscript from viewing the page. What are you trying to accomplish? Anyone that wants to copy text from your page can do so easily.

Also, your E-mail field is missing the opening parenthesis on “required”.

February 25, 2014 at 5:58 pm

You say “anyone that wants to copy text form your page can do so easily”, but it seems the place I specifically installed that copy protection to protect copying from hasn’t caught on to that and stopped after the protection was implemented. Therefore, the protection has held it’s merit. How am I to know you aren’t of that specific party, considering your anonymity AND the fact that you’re the only person who’s commented on the blog just to complain about feature implementations?

Also, the latter issue is likely caused by a WordPress update and has nothing to do with me. (It was not like that prior.)
    Now, do you have anything to say that actually relates to the article you commented on?

7. brave frontier apk said,

March 31, 2014 at 9:41 am

If you wish for to grow your experience simply keep visiting this web page and be updated with the most recent gossip posted here.

8. facebook said,

June 29, 2014 at 9:29 am

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your website.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for
    me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire
    out a developer to create your theme? Great work!

9. hcg weight loss by day said,

July 22, 2014 at 9:34 am

An exercise program that suits your body type and requirement will
    be designed for you. Actually, this technique has
    been utilized for thousands of years so when looking at effectiveness, we can’t question them.
    You will again get a well toned body with perfect curves and shapes.

10. deck box white plastic said,

July 22, 2014 at 10:11 am

The President just said he’s dialing O for O’Malley.
    For holes, you cover the area with the wallboard tape and then spackle to
    make the tape stick. About a hundred,000 BTU’s of quiet, clear-blowing heated air will do exactly
    fantastic.

11. bait how to freeze tomatoes in freezer bags said,

July 27, 2014 at 2:07 am

Confident of ample wisdom, Fred said, “We’ve camped. When you get in touch with them, they will want to understand what size panel (wattage) you have and what the voltage is. But no one else will, even if the fix is not perfect.

12. sunless solutions said,

August 18, 2014 at 7:46 am

items in their own particular view are clearly the actual ones which they will.
    Surgical treatment for Gynecomastia is considered the fastest and most effective way to reshape the male breast.
    Frederick Mohs in the 1930′s who began this treatment for skin cancer.