New ROM Dump, but I don’t know Wai I’m releasing these now.

Oh dear, this is the most successive punning I’ve done on the blog yet…. er, eh-hem!

This article features the release of a 8M Pack dump ROM with 2 games. Before I hand it over, though, I’m gonna link some of the related articles, or at least alleged relations, in some cases.

Starting with this one. This is probably the biggie. One ROM is directly connected with Yuki Uchida and her radio programming.

Meanwhile, according to bluesun’s translations of Satellaview history museum, the other ROM is tied in to the “Waiwai de Q” series.

However, either way, they are both fairly similar games, using the same game engine, developed by Hori. Yes, the same Hori that keeps making arcade joysticks.

Not that this is a tourney fighter or anything… these two games are essentially your Sunday Newspaper “Spot the difference” challenges made into videogames.

The first ROM, well, technically it has a long title on the title screen, but to cut short it’s a rerun (“Saihoushou” in the header, like the BS Tantei Club ROMs) of a March 21st edition of “Waiwai Check”. Now, there’s a few ROMs labeled “Waiwai Check” back on GoodSNES, but those don’t work on anything. This, however, works pretty well on bsnes or snes9x-sx2. I think I need to investigate a ROM dumper here…

From what bluesun’s translated, “Waiwai Check” apparently ties into earlier “Waiwai de Q” episodes somehow. How confusing.

Many english Satellaview information sites wrote off “Waiwai Check” as a magazine (And with it’s small filesize and dated instalments, that was a reasonable guess), but it appears this may need to be corrected.

The second one is a March 16th edition of “Yuki no Waiwai Kids”. As you might see, it’s very similar to Waiwai Check, but instead of the more casual nature of Check, you have a very difficult VS. CPU game where Yuki Uchida (Er, or an AI representing her, yeah) cheats and steals her way into totally creaming you. If you managed to best Yuki back when the service was alive, you would be eligible to win “Yuki no Su”, which, based on the Japanese blog page from the earlier article, isn’t really much more than a box of crayons. Yeesh.

The game ran alongside the “Twilight Street Kids” radio show, and was designed to be played along with the audio, but it also has it’s own SPC music.

According to bluesun, the wording of various articles related to Waiwai Kids gave the impression that Yuki’s real-life self was controlling her in-game actions. However, a quick run in bsnes or snes9x-sx2 should prove otherwise. This may have been a source of so much confusion over whether or not the Satellaview had proper netplay capability.

By the way, to start gameplay proper; at the screen where Yuki’s on the skateboard, you hit L+R+START. Strange, isn’t it?

Waiwai Check 3/21 | わいわいチェック 3/21
+ Yuki no Waiwai Kids 3/16 Ban | 有紀のワイワイKIDS 3/16
ROM Download

1. redeemer665 said,

November 26, 2012 at 10:02 am

Wow, thanks. This helped me to figure out what was wrong with “Waiwai Check 3-7” you also mentioned: the ROM was interleaved, contains Wai Wai Checks dated 3/7 and 3/14 but all even 32K byte banks are repeated twice, meaning we’re missing every single odd bank. Remaining banks are ordered as follows: 0,0,2,2,4,4,etc. I’m not even going to try salvaging them by inserting the missing banks from Check 3/21, I have already tried a similar method with those broken Kirby minigames (guruguru, hoshi kuzushi) :(

November 26, 2012 at 10:09 am

Probably best not to bother with Hoshi Kuzushi, Callis’s redump of that works fine.

Unfortunately we’re still outta luck on Guruguru Ball.

Considering how the Kirbys have the same issues, I have a hunch these bad dumps originated from the same ROM dumper. We should try finding this ROM dumper and tracking the 8Ms, they need to be redumped, and the sooner the better.

IIRC, I tried asking Cowering who the ROM dumper might’ve been, but it doesn’t seem like anyone remembers. Unfortunate. :(

Please, anyone who might have any information on this, please contact me.

3. redeemer665 said,

November 26, 2012 at 10:29 am

Actually… I tried a quick copy-paste trick on Wai Wai Check 3/14 (as it seems to use the same updated engine that 3/21 has) and actually got it working. Graphics are broken as expected but all I got were the same pictures that Wai wai check 3/21 had… Talk about tough luck.

November 26, 2012 at 11:34 am

You might have copy-pasted the picture data itself over.

That’s still theoretically interesting, mind. I wonder if you could hack that data into Waiwai Kids, and vice versa.

5. redeemer665 said,

November 28, 2012 at 8:33 am

I think I read somewhere that back then when the first satellaview ROMs surfaced they were dumped by removing the flash chips from memory packs and reading them directly on a programmer. Probably because it was the easiest way? I really hope this is just guessworking so we could have a chance of redumping these. Most of the games were likely dumped soon after they were broadcasted anyway, and the chances of finding an 8M that still has an ‘erased’ Soundlink game might be pretty slim today… Oops, I’m just thinking aloud here.

About Wai wai checks, it was pure coincidence the missing data in 3/14 happened to be the most important differing data. My goal was only to try and see what kind of pictures there were in other episodes than 3/21. I don’t have much interest to figure out where the actual graphics and other gameplay data are located to hack them into Wai wai Kids, sorry :) It could be done for sure, though.

While we’re talking about redumping, “ASCII Data” pack is corrupted in a weird patterned way at 0x51EAF-57FFF. It might just be deleted music data there that’s gotten corrupt, but it also seems those five songs (or at least one of them) were used in a RPG tsukuru 2 game called “マサカズとターぼう” located just before the music data.
    What I would like to know is that which of these RPG/Ongaku packs were broadcasted rather than created by users! Just judging by the quality of the content isn’t enough proof to say anything, I’m afraid.

BTW, I’m going to Japan next February and most probably doing shopping in Akihabara as well. Can you recommend me any easy-to-find retro shops stocking cheap and rare used 8M packs? 😀

November 28, 2012 at 9:37 am

From what I can tell, if an ASCII data pack is from a broadcast rather than a homemade data, it’ll have a unique header rather than the typical names they have for them (“RPG Tsukuru Data”, “Kanaderu Convert”, etc.)

You’ll see a bit more info when I release a certain ROM sometime next month. :)

As for shops selling 8Ms, I tried asking around at #snesfreaks and a few other places, but it appears it’s tough to find assorted blank 8Ms in the wild; most shops supply the money-making Squaresoft games at premium prices instead.

November 28, 2012 at 9:44 am

BTW, from what I read up on the ROM dumping history of Satellaview ROMs (at least according to Pachuka), the BS Zelda Dai-3-wa dump was the first going around on the internet, and that was around mid-1999 (He unfortunately didn’t have any intel on how the ROM was dumped). The date on the original dump matches the premiere date, so it’s possibly quite a few folks held on to their 8Ms for years for dumping purposes.

8. redeemer665 said,

November 28, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Good thinking. The reason why I believe that some of our dumped ASCII packs might contain broadcasted data is 8M listings like this one
    So far I have come across four different songs titled バトル , of which two have been of professional quality, for example. I’ve still got about ten data packs left to “disassemble”, and I’m not counting those Sound Novel 1-8 packs :)

November 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

It’s very hard to find “empty” 8m packs in Akihabara. However, there are often some 8m packs with good games on it in the showcases. With high price tags though…

10. redeemer665 said,

December 1, 2012 at 11:26 am

Okay, thanks for the info.. And about Wai wai Kids, to me it looks like they recorded the gameplay (button presses) and commentary when Yuki was playing it herself so that could give player the impression that he/she was playing live against Yuki :)

11. octophonix said,

December 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

hey everyone I know this might be a dumb question, but I need to ask.
    I make electronic music and use a decent amount of sound font samples from various SFC games.
    they are mostly low quality, so I was wondering how i can access sound banks from games and convert instruments in .wav files.
    is this possible??

December 5, 2012 at 5:59 am

SNES sounds and music are mostly very tiny soundsamples which are often super deformed, stretched and/or repeated to get a certain sound effect or melody. I guess you would have a hard time to figure things out.

December 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm

If I recall right there’s an application on Zophar’s domain for extracting the sound samples of a SNES ROM and making them WAVs. You might want to look that up.