Does anyone else want to help sort through these ASCII Data Packs?

So, a couple days ago I, after a few technical issues, managed to up a few videos to Youtube. To be specific, videos of myself combing through various pieces of “RPG Tsukuru 2 Data”.

Are the ones I’ve tried so far. They’re from the ROM batch available in this blog post.

I hope to, eventually, be able to comb through and properly check the nature of each and every Data Pack data. Unfortunately a few things are in the way of that.

1) There may or may not be RPG Tsukuru 2 Data Pack data that may have been dumped that I’m not familiar with, especially if they were dumped prior to 2008.
2) Many of the dumps (Especially the ones Callis split) appear to still not work.
3) In retrospect, I did a… kinda not-so-good (to put it mildly) job at getting the Data Packs organized. This is mostly because I wasn’t really as interested in this content as having actual Satellaview data, but factors such as finding Ryouba de Yuku data lend a bit of ambiguity to this, and it’s theoretically possible I neglected a possibly good piece of data, which is why I’ve gone back to run this check.

Therefore, I’d like to ask for help on this. Mostly with making sure I have all the ROMs, and maybe with making sure I’m getting stuff emulated right. If anyone wants to assist with that feel free to comment on this article.

What might also be helpful is getting these to load in an emulator that makes for easier recording, but from what I heard LuigiBlood’s working on implementing his bsnes-sx improvements on a fork of SNES9X, and this would probably do the job well.

I hope to do this one game at a time for the data packs for all the ASCII games.

1. redeemer665 said,

August 31, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I’ve been trying to sort these unnamed data packs you’ve been posting for a while, but with little success so far. Many packs have data in them that isn’t recognized by the games so I started figuring out the format each Tsukuuru game uses, hoping that would help me to understand why it happens. But as a musician I’m more interested in the Ongaku Tsukuuru data so I naturally started from there. I’m trying to devote time for this as much as I can but my progress is really slow :(

What do you mean by Callis ‘splitting’ the dumps? Is some of the data interleaved and mirrored(?) like those infamous bad Kirby dumps?

August 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I don’t recall the specifics, but Callis generally has attempted to split 8M Packs into individual files when he thinks he can. How good this turns out tends to depend on various factors.

September 4, 2012 at 5:18 am

I had no time to dig into these data packs but to finally scan the two retail MC boxes.

4. redeemer665 said,

September 16, 2012 at 9:34 am

I discovered only just now that there’s something that’s causing incompatibility problems between Ongaku Tsukuuru saves created in emulated game and a real console (via sd2snes).
    Most probably something involving checksums since the saved music data seems to be fairly simple and compact.
    SRAM saves created with console (also tried different regions and chipset versions) are not recognized by any emulator and vice versa, and this might also be the reason I haven’t been able to load the .bs data packs with bsnes-sx2 that supposedly contain Ongaku data.
    RPG tsukuuru 2 and Sound Novel packs clearly seem to work fine though as you have demonstrated.

I really hope ikari_01 some day releases a firmware that has an option to load multiple images with sd2snes…

September 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm

To be clear, you’re talking entirely about SRAM saves, right? I already know the data packs currently don’t run because there’s currently no functionally for running 8M Pack ROMs through anything other than BS-X, and that’s currently being worked on, IIRC. Am I to guess you tried converting the 8M data to SRAM as I heard was previously possible?

It might be an issue similar to Dezaemon’s SRAM problems.

6. redeemer665 said,

September 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Yes, I’m talking mainly about SRAM saves here but the logic behind my thinking is that if an emulator can’t recognize the SRAM save created with a console, it would be no surprise if those 8M packs with Ongaku data we have aren’t working either.
    Using sd2snes, I tried to quickly load up one data pack in the game as a SRAM (only had 32K of Ongaku data as it would nicely fit, rest of the pack was filled with 0xFF) but to my disappointment the game didn’t recognize it either. That would have been too easy anyway.
    The next step is to figure out how the SRAM checksum (located at 0x20-22) is calculated!

7. redeemer665 said,

September 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm

False alarm here… The reason why SRAM isn’t working correctly is that sd2snes detects Ongaku Tsukuuru to have only 8K of SRAM, causing a calculation of different SRAM checksum for the same data in emulators and sd2snes :(

8. tan said,

November 4, 2014 at 1:26 pm

It’s essential to have a clean skin before applying a
    tanner. Taking this drug with coffee or tea is not advised.

First of all choose a suntan lotion that has a lot
    of moisturizer in it.