New ROM Dump: Tamori no Picross 6/26 (By Ikari_01)

This ROM dump is a bit of a story.
A few days ago Ikari_01 came up to me and told me that he dumped something named “Tamori no Picross 6/26”. Being the eager person who is interested in new ROM dumps, I wanted to take a look at it.

Ah, one catch, though.

Uh oh.

It was one of -those- kind of ROM dumps again.

I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to fix the checksum. Y’know why? I was stumped at why ucon64 wasn’t giving me the correct one for a while, until I asked Luigiblood for some help. He looked at the ROM, asked me for some details about the ROM filesize, and then called my attention to the excess data in the lower half of ikari’s 8M Pack dump…

Ah, what could this be? Based on the tiles being RPG graphics and a bit of text in the ROM itself, Luigiblood and I believe there was once an “RPG Tsukuru SUPER DANTE” data piece previously in this 8M Pack.

He told me that ucon64 gives the proper checksum when this extra data was removed. He was right. Thus, an IPS patch for the ROM was made. It both corrects the checksum/maker data and removes the “RPG Tsukuru SUPER DANTE” data, which should let the game be played in BSNES.

So, what is all this effort for?
As you can see in the Youtube video embed, this is a new Tamori no Picross ROM. It appears to be just a few weeks after the previous ROM dump chronologically, and has some obvious similarities to it. However, the puzzles are different… and so is that title screen, for some reason.

Tamori no Picross 6/26 | タモリのピクロス 6/26
ROM+IPS Patch (for headers, removal of excess data)
Click here to download

1. SmashManiac said,

June 15, 2011 at 12:11 am

Have you tried isolating the excess data and check if it can be loaded in RPG Tsukuru SUPER DANTE?

2. ikari_01 said,

June 15, 2011 at 11:07 pm

yup, $FFD0 says “$0F” which means the ROM resides in the first 512kBytes of the memory pack (dump) and the checksum only applies to that area.
    Zeroing out the rest of the pack yields the same result because the checksum is really just a sum. :)

June 22, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Smashmaniac: I tried comparing it to “JEWEL OF LIVE”, but it didn’t seem to match.

It also doesn’t seem to have a header. I kinda doubt it’s workable.

4. SmashManiac said,

June 22, 2011 at 8:13 pm

What about RPG Tsukuru 2? It also reads from 8M data packs.

As for the lack of header, well it’s possible the data was partially overwritten, but it’s also possible (as far as I know) that the data was deleted but that doing so only resulted in the header removal since it’s faster than overwriting all bytes with zeros.

June 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm

The old RPG Tsukuru 2 Data Pack dumps we have all had headers (and even read on BS-X, although they boot into a unique message and dump you back in the overworld if you try to play them)

I guess I could try looking into it more closely, but as far as I can tell it’s missing too much data…

6. Ethan said,

July 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Any chance I could see the unaltered ROM?

7. Ethan said,