I’ve contributed to Hardcore Gaming 101!

Hey, guys, check this page out!

See that little section on the Satellaview Dezaemons? I feel pretty sweeet, now. HG101’s been an awesome site, and contributing to it in a substantial manner feels kind of like an accomplishment!

There hasn’t been much news on the “Satellaview Shooting Trilogy” since I sent that info down, BTW. The 8M Memory Packs have been eluding me lately. :(

I hope sooner or later I’ll be able to snag “BS-X Shooting” at least.

May 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Any idea, which game this could be? It’s from a new satellaview order of me and not bootable. The header marks it as a soundlink game, so there’s a big chance that it is not dumped yet. The ? are probably Kanji, the Ultra 16 is only able to show Hiragana and Katakana of the japanese alphabet.

May 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm

It doesn’t boot even on the Ultra16? and it seems and it seems to have a garbled mess for a header?

Is it possible the Ultra16 ain’t reading it right? Or perhaps you have a Data Pack for Same Game or something.

May 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

BTW, I’ve attempted to try to find a Satellaview game with a stand-out “X” in it, only for no dice.

I can’t tell from that picture whether that second character’s a lowercase p or a ロ

There is pretty clearly a ラ though. and I guess that other one’s a ア….
    …. trying to get this stuff figured out is brainwracking, though. I don’t think there iis any possible way the “mojibake” for a header can help us. Can you view the tiles? Can you do a checksum check? Can you get snippets of the code? Anything like that?

May 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Sadly no :(
    I also let the game play for more than 5 minutes, since soundlink games often have a waittime in the beginning.

But I will eventually meet with d4s on a SNES get-toghether in June. I’ll let him check it out and make a suggestion to upgrade the satellaview checksum for the next firmware version.

The checksum is successfull and says that the rom seems to be okay…
    BTW, the “ロ” also could be a p 😉

May 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

“BS Dezaemon BS Ban – BS-X Shooting” Seems to be the only game with a X in the title… but as far as I know, these games were normal startup games… hm. Maybe the title of this rom is just a bunch of mixed letters?!

May 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Can you ask d4s to dump the ROM and permit me to look at it, if possible?

Also, are you able to force HiROM and see if you get a header that looks less gibberish-y?

From what I recall, usually only the Same Game and SD Gundam G-next Data Packs would come up with gibberish headers under every possible circumstance. It’s possible that said headers could give a false positive for Soundlink enabling.

If you only waited five minutes for a game to play, it’s possible you might have needed to wait another 3-4 (although if it was just a black screen, then tough luck…)

May 10, 2011 at 3:35 am

I let the black screen run for about 15 minutes…
    Yeah, the header could be so strange because of the soundlink relation.
    If the dump is avaiable, I’ll give it to you for a look and for sharing on your blog.

May 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm

kiddo, I need your help again :(
    I got work in progress with a article for the german Retro Magazine.
    Obviously, it’s about Satellaview… I wanted to add a list of Satellaview exclusives (no normal SFC or NP version), which are still playable without hacking/soundlink emulation and actually real games.

Here is the list, please correct me or add things I forgot…

F-Zero Grand Prix 2 (Nintendo)
    Chrono Trigger Jet Bike Special (Square)
    Dezaemon – BS-X Shooting, 2 Episodes (Athena/Nintendo)
    Dr. Mario (Nintendo)
    Dynami Tracer! (Square)
    Golf Lover! Out of Bounds Club (Masaya)
    Jewel of Life (ASCII)
    Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero (NCS)
    Kirby’s Toy Box, 8 Minigames (HAL)
    Koi Ha Balance – Battle of Lovers (Square)
    Konae-chan no DokiDoki Pengin Kazoku (Pax Softnica)
    Sutte Hakkun Event Version (Nintendo)
    Sutte Hakkun Event Version 2 (Nintendo)
    Sutte Hakkun Winter Event Version (Nintendo)
    Radical Dreamers (Square)
    Special Tee Shot (Nintendo)
    Treasure Conflix (Square)
    Umataro Gennarin Daibouken (ASCII)
    Yoshi no Panepon (Nintendo)

May 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

This is a confusing list. Are you going for ROMs, or actual 8M Pack carts to snag? The list could be altered greatly depending on the details of the matter – for example, Squaresoft games are safe bets for playable 8M Packs but are a tad on the more-difficult-than-others side to emulate.

To start, I’d be on the safe side; don’t take anything that’s undumped as granted-for-bootable until it’s dumped and can be seen. This goes for those BS-X Dezaemons in particular.

Also, Dr. Mario appears in gameplay to be identical to various US SNES-release variants going around, including the “Tetris and Dr. Mario” 2-pack, so I think that’d be excluded.

While the Sutte Hakkun games are not identical to the NP/Retail versions, the similarities are comparable to a Street Fighter vs a “Super” Street Fighter. Similiarly, a Tamori no Picross is similar to a Mario no Super Picross in a similar manner.

And… I have no idea about that Umataro thing.

May 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Umataro is one of the RPG Skuru games.
    BS-X Shooting does have unlimited startups. Just believe me 😉
    Dr. Mario as a single game is Satellaview only, isnt it?
    Yoshi No Panepon was released in the west as Tetris Attack, but I list it, because in Japan it was a Satellaview only.
    About the Sutte Hakkun thing… The same thing would go for F Zero 2. The same game with new a new Cup. So I decided to list them…
    I want to list games which are playable on real hardware. I don’t mind about emulation in this list.

Are my efforts clearer now? 😀
    Maybe now you can help me better.

May 12, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Oh, and I list exclusive games with limited startups. If they have startups, they are still playable without a connection and Satellaview exclusive.

May 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Ah, alright. Thanks for clearing it up.

If you want to count demos, the Super Famicom Wars BS Ban and Puyo Puyo Tsuu BS Ban would be additions.

Panel De Pon Event ’98 version would also go in there.

Both the Wario no Mori games on the Satellaview are also different from the retail/US releases (although the undumped “Bakusho Mondai” one more notably than “Futatabi”), so they go in as well.

The Mario Paint ROMs are also different, if ever so slightly. Recall the article about which mentioned their joypad support and the “Champion” version’s hidden picture?

May 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Nice, good adds!
    But Super Famicom Wars had a NP release, hadn’t it?
    What exactly is different in Puyo Puyo Tsuu BS Ban?
    And I wonder if the non-demo Wario No Mori games were Soundlink games… I thought so until now…

May 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Clearing it up a tad, the Super Famicom Wars and Puyo Puyo Tsuu BS Bans are both demos. They’re basically stripped down to a single mode, single config, n’ such, to advertise the retail product. For example, the Super Famicom Wars one has you play as Red Star vs. Blue Moon on… the 2nd island, while.. Puyo Puyo Tsuu BS Ban has a straight “Best of three” match where you’re Arle vs. Satan.

The Wario no Moris aren’t soundlink from what I can tell. Of course, I don’t have the Bakusho Mondai one, but “Futatabi” is fine for standard BS-X play. As for the differences between that and retail, they tend to be more in minor detials like graphics and text.

May 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

“The first version was copyrighted in 1994 and released under the name Wario no Mori Bakushō Bājon (ワリオの森 爆笑バージョン?, lit. “Wario’s Woods: Burst of Laughter Version”). The Bakushō Version featured personalities from the Japanese radio comedy show, Bakushō Mondai (JA).”

If there are personalitys of a radio show in it, I would conclude that a Soundlink stream with a radio show was played, so I’ll be guardedly with that one. However, Wario’s Woods Again will be mentioned in the list and the other 2 games not… because they are demos and no real new games imo 😉

Thank you really much for the good adds and the nice descriptions. You live and learn. :) If you remember another game, just let me know, I check your blog frequently.

May 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Konae and Tamori are also radio personalities, yet their respective games aren’t soundlink-dependant.

May 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Hm… this is a point. But this one is named after a whole show :/
    I better don’t list it, a mistake is much worse than a missing one. One of the mori’s is listed. Should be okay 😉

May 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

The soundlink rom is “BS Fire Emblem Akaneia Senki 1 – Palace Kanraku” which was a big suprise for me! Unfortunately, it’s already dumped.

May 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm

This is a very important question and please don’t lie to me. On which day is your birthday?

May 14, 2011 at 4:02 am

Good, now I know it. Something will be released in the same time 😀

May 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

I wanted to add a litte technical profile for my article. Is there any source for this?

I thought about something like this, but have no idea, what I should and CAN add into a list like that:

“Processor Ricoh 5A22, based on a 16-bit 65c816 core
    Clock rates (NTSC) Input: 21.47727 MHz
    Additional features
    DMA and HDMA
    Timed IRQ
    Parallel I/O processing
    Hardware multiplication and division
    Resolutions Progressive: 256 × 224, 512 × 224, 256 × 239, 512 × 239
    Interlaced: 512 × 448, 512 × 478
    Pixel depth 2, 4, 7, or 8 bpp indexed; 8 or 11 bpp direct
    Total colors 32768 (15-bit)
    Sprites 128, 32 max per line; up to 64 × 64 pixels
    Backgrounds Up to 4 planes; each up to 1024 × 1024 pixels
    Pixelization (mosaic) per background
    Color addition and subtraction
    Clipping windows (per background, affecting color, math, or both)
    Scrolling per 8 × 8 tile
    Mode 7 matrix operations
    Audio Processors Sony SPC700, Sony DSP
    Clock rates Input: 24.576 MHz
    SPC700: 1.024 MHz
    Format 16-bit ADPCM, 8 channels
    Output 32 kHz 16-bit stereo
    ADSR envelope control
    Frequency scaling and modulation using Gaussian interpolation
    Echo: 8-tap FIR filter, with up to .24s delay
    Noise generation
    Main RAM 128 kB[f]
    Video RAM 64 kB main RAM
    512 + 32 bytes sprite RAM
    256 × 15 bits palette RAM
    Audio RAM 64 kB
    Cartridges: up to 48 Mbit ROM data and 8mbit battery RAM”

(Technical profile of the snes xD)

I wasnt able to find something which is even close to a technicsal profile in the net.

May 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Well, ikari helped me out, a little. This is the technical profile so far (in german):

Technischer Steckbrief:

*Matsushita MN88821 Chip, Demodulation des Receiversignals
    *Nintendo DCD-BSA Chip, Decodieren der Daten als Schnittstelle zum SNES

BS-X Modul
    *8Mbit BS-X Bios
    *4Mbit Arbeitsspeicher
    *256kbit Batteriespeicher

Memory Pack
    *8Mbit Flashspeicher

23. overstock deal code said,

December 30, 2013 at 3:19 am

Overstock sells earrings, bracelets, gold and diamond rings, necklaces, and accessories that run the gamut from sweet to
    sensational. The easy process encourages people
    to avail the products of their choice by simply clicking with mouse instead of going to market.
    People will become more inclined to test a product if they’re due to
    the possibility to purchase it with a reduced price.

24. capablemaverick43.blog.com said,

September 18, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about general information. Regards

25. Erpo said,

December 8, 2015 at 5:40 pm

I have only the Chrono Trigger DS version, Chrono Cross GH and their stodnuracks (CT OSV, CT OST, CC OST and Chrono Symphonic) missing me CT The blink of Time & CT Orchestra Extra Soundtrack and i feel like a lucky guy but you’re a really LUCKY guy and your Chrono collection are so beautiful. Thanks for share this masterwork to all us.