Just how difficult is getting new stuff? A sorta-personal story.

To make up for the lack of updates on the latter half of May, I’ll tell a bit of a tale about it!

Y’see, on eBay there was this auction for a Satellaview 8M Pack – why, this one, in fact;

I decided that, in the name of the research Callis and I do, I should try another 8M Pack purchase with my own money (Callis was bidding on other things at the time), and thus, you see, I snag the auction.
One thing that should be obvious but I’ll reiterate anyway, and one of the major problems with trying to snag Satellaview material – purchasing 8M Packs is a lot like gambling. Most of these carts are untested, and you literally have no idea if there’s any data in them at all until you either boot it in BS-X or ROM-dump the data inside. Of course, if by some chance the data IS identified, it probably wouldn’t even be selling on eBay – rather at YJA for a hefty pricetag.

So anyway, yeah, I order this pack

Of course, in typical “internet tragedy story” fashion, I spend the rest of the month waiting for it, because USPS pulled some BS on me (Pun entirely intentional) and had it sitting in their office for half a month without sending me a notice.
After a trip and a polite explaining to them of the going-ons, I get my memory pack, and put it in the BS-X set Callis gave me.
In typical “internet tragedy story” fashion yet again, it’s merely RPG Tsukuru 2 Data. Now, for reference, I currently have no research on how to tell a “Homemade” RPG Tsukuru 2 data from anything that was downloaded from St.GIGA’s servers, so it’s theoretically possible I still have something interesting. Theoretically.
It ain’t anything nearly as funky as a Kirby no Omachahako or Tamori no Picross, though, that’s for sure.
And so, there goes 60 bucks I could’ve spent on current-gen gaming instead. Aw, well!

In the meantime, other interesting things have happened – in particular, one memory pack on Yahoo Japan Auctions was listed as one with UNDAKE30 Same Game Daisakusen Mario Version, which solidifed something I all but confirmed before. Now, if only I could get archives of the UNDAKE30 Radio show…

Rom Release Rushing will continue at some point in this month, but I want to write some actual articles in the meantime, somehow.

June 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I wanted to buy this one, too, but after all the price was too high.
    I got a Ultra 16 and I can also boot blocked satellaview data. The RPG Tsukuru 2 data could be something really good, please check it. Maybe a selfmade RPG is saved on it. Nice Stuff 😉
    If you got a blocked game, I’m very interested, just send me an Message at snesfreaks.com or supernes.de. Just as a a example, I got a blocked satellaview demo- version of the Zelda A Link to the Past and I just love to play it.

2. admin said,

June 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Nearly all my memory packs get sent to Callis (with the exception of this one so far, because there’s no proper way to test this without an RPG Tsukuru 2 cartridge.)

In terms of locked games, we (well, Callis) got a few – multiple Kamigami no Triforce copies, Sonic Blastman (ROM dump of that should be popping up on the blog at any moment, but there’s also another bit of a story on that I’d like typed out), Actraiser (ROM dump already put out), And a few others. Actually, more peculiarly, we also have a few games wihch have “deleted” rather than locked data – does the Ultra16 work on those? If so, we would like to see the “deleted” Sutte Hakkun and Dr. Mario Memory Packs we have tested on that. I myself don’t have an Ultra16 – would like to have one ot check out all sorts of stuff wiht, but alas.

June 12, 2010 at 8:51 am

Why don’t you just buy RPG Tsukuru 2? Its actually cheap on eBay…

If I trust the information of d4s, blocked AND deleted games can be played by the Ultra 16. I got a Dr Mario Cartridge (you mentioned that this game gets deleted) where all startups are used. And I can play it.

July 6, 2010 at 6:10 am

Hey, it’s me again. Could you check the RPG- Tsukuru data after all?
    I got a satellaview cartridge today and found some data on it that was listed on no Satellaview sites so far. Its “BS Table Game Dai-Shuugo!”, a collection of 4 tablegames like Go, Mahjong and some more.
    Is this game dumped or undumped?

July 6, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Ah, apologies, I haven’t been checking the comments in a while.

No update on the RPG Tsukuru 2 data yet. I’m currently unable to purchase anything at the time.

as for the “BS Table Game” data, I don’t recall the title. Is there any more info you got? All I know is that I’m annoyed by how many Mahjong games are on Satellaview.

July 7, 2010 at 12:30 am

I could find nothing about the title in the net but the original Super Famicom game. Its nearly the same, I will check the Rom of the original soon. Maybe there are some differences. Someone in the snesfreaks forum mentioned something about voicesounds, I dont believe that there is enough space on a 8mb cartridge for something like that.
    Table Game is a little bit better than a standart Mahjong Game, there are 4 different games in the cart:
    All traditional japanese/chinese games.
    If the rom really is undumped, I am going to contact d4s and if he doesn’t answer I also could send it to callis. Lets stay in contact!

July 7, 2010 at 6:42 am

I would suggest senidng Memory Packs you want dumped to Callis for a prompt response – as well as perhaps a Satellablog article.

You should probably tell Callis you have an interest in getting your memory packs dumped.