Hacking can make your own “Dezaemon BS-X Version”.

Updates really slow, huh? Well, let me toss this up here.

Luigiblood and I (but mostly Luigiblood) have been tampering around with the BS-X Shooting ROM.

First, BS-X Shooting was converted into a .srm file for the retail Dezaemon.
Here’s a bit of the technical info behind it;
The data in the BS-X Shooting ROM that corresponds to the BS-X Shooting game edit data is segmented sequentially at
00000-07FFF, 10000-17FFF, 20000-27FFF and 30000-37FFF respectively.
When you take these pieces and put combine them you get data that is palatable for a retail Dezaemon’s SRM file.

Likewise, it is possible to take a Dezaemon SFC Save file and convert it into a “Dezaemon BS-X Version” game! Simply swap the SRAM data in as goes; 00000-07FFF for 00000-07FFF, 08000-0FFFF for 10000-17FFF, 10000-17FFF for 20000-27FFF and 18000-1FFFF for 30000-37FFF.

(note that there do seem to be some oddities certain emulators pick up when trying to work with these – Luigiblood said bsnes-sx freezes up with a “SRAM Check” screen on them. I have tried these on my sd2snes without problem, though.)

Here’s a few quick n’ dirty hacks right now.
They’re in .smc format and have no real header to speak of, so hopefully you pop them open in any emulator or ROM loader and see how well they run!
“POD”, converted by Luigiblood
Game originally designed for SFC Dezaemon by dessgeega.

“Paris Dakar Rally Special”, converted by myself.
Was originally found here.

“Shooting Monner”, converted by myself.
Original save game can be downloaded here

If you’ve been checking my Youtube profile lately, you may have seen that I’ve been trying to archive a lot of Dezaemon saves. Obviously they ere useful for this, but I just want to say, it’d be really great if more of these could be preserved for the Super Famicom enthusiast.
If anyone here has a Dezaemon SFC save game and wants it preserved, send it to me! If you want your game to be converted into a standalone “Dezaemon BS-X Version” ROM, send it to me likewise!

This also goes for you RPG Tsukuru SUPER DANTE guys! I can convert JEWEL OF LIVE to FATE and vice-versa (It’s much easier than Dezaemon, since the data isn’t segmented or interleaved into anything else), but I have no other save games to work with on that regard. I’ve been considering trying to track down and possible dump the data of ASCII Turbo Files for this purpose – any help on that would be appreciated!

1. marvelus10 said,

May 15, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thank you, finally get to play BS-X Shooting on my PowerPak.

2. a13 said,

May 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Awesome stuff! I hope you continue on converting old Dezaemon saves. I’m inclined to make one myself now 😀

May 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I’ll probably converting anything that seems like it’d make a good standalone game, not obviously borrowing Daioh Gale resources or anything.

If that Touhou Dezaemon thing was something closer to being done, I’d probably have converted that as well.

4. marvelus10 said,

May 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Agreed a13, I went out and bought a SNES mouse the other day just for that same idea. I would love to see a page dedicated to peoples saves.
    I too have searched quite a bit and either no one cares or they are all in the closet. The Sega Saturn version seems to have quite the following.

@ Kiddo I converted the Touhou one for myself its good, I think you should convert and post all the stuff you find. Just my opinion though, not telling you what to do.

Keep it up, I visit here regularly I love seeing new updates. Thank you

5. KingMike said,

June 6, 2012 at 6:02 pm

You know the Paris-Dakar game is heavily based on a bizarre Famicom game (of the same name) that tries to be a different genre every stage?
    First adventure, then a top-down racer, and eventually a shooter.

6. marvelus10 said,

August 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I was unable to get these three to work with my SD2SNES.
    I was also trying to get some Dezaemon SRAM to work with my SD2SNES tonight with no luck. Even opening up the ROM and making a quick edit and saving doesn’t work when trying to reopen it.

August 6, 2012 at 5:51 am

Could you explain what the issue might be with booting them using the sd2snes? I’m pretty certain I had these running on my setup, although I’ll also note that some updated firmware in regards to Satellaview ROMs.

As for the Dezaemon SRAM on the sd2snes, unfortunately I haven’t really given that a good test. IF it turns out that Dezaemon SRAM simply can’t save on the sd2snes you might want to talk to ikari or submit it as an “issue” on the github page.

8. marvelus10 said,

August 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

All I get with the three files above is a blank screen, I’m running the most current firmware. The .BS version of BS-X Shooting works fine.

As for the Dezaemon rom, Ikari has acknowledged it and will investigate. Apparently it may be due to the large amount or sram needed and possible mapping that sram. We will see I guess.

9. redeemer665 said,

August 7, 2012 at 4:48 am

I’m having the same problem when I’m trying to play the SFC version of Dezaemon. All I get is the self-test failing and saying “S-RAM Break down!”

After that I tried to play Ihatovo monogatari, which crashed every time right when the gamesave selection screen was about to come up. Tried it again the next day and it worked just fine :O Might be totally unrelated, maybe my SD card is just acting up but it was really unexpected nevertheless…

10. marvelus10 said,

August 15, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Has there ever been a piece of hardware that can dump the sram from a Dezaemon cart?

August 15, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I’ve asked about it in some places before, but as far as I know, there is none. I also don’t know of anyone who has a Dezaemon cart which still has some homemade game data in it at the moment.

I’ve also asked about ASCII Turbo File data dumping – supposedly getting saves from those might be possible with the sd2snes but I don’t really have a Turbo File to test this with.

12. marvelus10 said,

August 16, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I took a quick look at the turbo file, I wonder how hard it would be to hook one of those up to a SNES Controller to USB adapter and dump it or even SNES Controller to parallel port. Of course one would have to create a program to do so.

August 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The idea I had with the Turbo File was to load it on the sd2snes with a compatible game’s ROM and move the data over to .srm files.

Would kinda be rough-n-dirty, but it’d salvage some stuff theoretically.

14. marvelus10 said,

August 16, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I had an idea for the SRAM on a Dezaemon cart, obviously it has to be left on the cart for power but if you were to take a chip socket and attach it to the legs of the sram, then to an eprom reader/writer and read the data from it.
    I’m not sure if its possible, I have a willem programmer but have never used it for anything other than making NES repros.

15. marvelus10 said,

August 16, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Forgot to mention I tried the 3 hacks above with all firmware revisions of the SD2SNES and got nothing more than a dark screen.
    I also have not seen a reply or update regarding the sram compatibility with the SD2SNES yet, but I’m sure Ikari has bigger fish to fry right now.

16. marvelus10 said,

August 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I was reading on Hardcore Gaming 101 that the PS1 version of Dezaemon contains some playable games that were created with the SFC version in a competition, the best were released as playable games on the PS1 disk.
    What are the chances Athena took all those games and reprogrammed them to work on the PS1 or just left them and made the new PS1 version able to read an SFC rom/save file? I wonder if someone who is well educated in PS1 hacking and or use of a HEX editor could pull those games off the disk to see if they are usable on their original platform.

17. cb1 weight gainer reviews said,

April 10, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I hardly leave a response, however i did some searching and wound up here Hacking can make your own Dezaemon BS-X Version.
    | Satellablog. And I do have a couple of questions for you if you usually do not mind.

Is it simply me or does it seem like a few of these responses come across
    like they are written by brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if you
    are writing at additional online sites, I
    would like to keep up with anything new you have to post.
    Could you make a list of all of your communal sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

18. Jordan said,

September 28, 2014 at 11:55 am

Link exchange is nothing else however it is just
    placing the other person’s weblog link on your page at proper place and other person will also
    do same for you.

19. Dave said,

April 13, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Hey I was just curious if you have archived any more Dezaemon games? Love the idea of preserving the fan made stuff. I just ordered myself a copy and can’t wait to dive in and contribute someday!

20. logo t shirts said,

June 3, 2015 at 12:29 am

Hello to every one, the contents existing
    at this web page are genuinely remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

21. make a shirt online said,

June 4, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through some of
    the articles I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m certainly pleased I
    stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

22. Tina said,

June 7, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Battle Camp Hack Instrument Cheats Generator could be very quick working software program.
    It’ll end hacks in simply few seconds.