The Perils of 8M Pack Purchasing; Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero.

Callis spent over 500 bucks on an 8M Pack and all he got was this ROM dump.

“Shubibinman, you say? But that game’s actually pretty sweet! And the 8M Pack must be collectible if it cost that much!”

Why, yes, both of those are true. However, there is but one teeny-weeny little problem.

On the file name I marked a “(L)” key for it. Do you see where this is going?

If not, try opening the game up in BSNES.

Wait, what’s that? It’s not showing up on the menu?

Yep, that’s right, the game is locked out! Callis can not even play the game on his hardware! Nor will this specific ROM play on BSNES due to it’s high-accuracy emulation simulating the lockout.

1. Daniel said,

January 3, 2011 at 8:26 pm

You guys need a Ultra16 then it works.
    The Ultra16 can even read delete games or locked ones.
    I think it even reads sound links.

January 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Try to get one in the german community, we often discuss or help international users.
    Be sure to explain your need for satellaview gaming and researches! Maybe someone is willing to give it away, because only a few use it for satellaview gaming and the super cic mod is very popular right now.
    I recommend and .
    Good luck 😉

January 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Can you tell me if the original BS Radical Dreamers had unlimited startups?
    A friend asked me about that today.

If you even know all BS games with no limitation… please make a list!! :)

January 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Although I haven’t been able to obtain any Squaresoft 8M Packs, all the ROM header data for them suggests they all had unlimited boot-ups.

Unfortunately, a list of every game with unlimited boot-ups would probably be small. I probably will try making that at some point, though.

Off the top of my head, besides the Squaresoft titles, I believe (may need to double check) there’s Yoshi no Panepon, the Sutte Hakkun titles and Wario no Mori Futatabi, and a few other Nintendo first-party Satellaview originals. Also, -any- magazine/book ROM. Current track record seems to suggest that unique game demos (such as Super Famicom Wars BS Ban and Puyo Puyo Tsuu BS Ban) are unlimited as well, but don’t quote me on that. Also, Data Pack Add-ons for the Data Pack compatible games do not lock (Partly because they don’t even play on BS-X).

Among games to expect to have the ability to lock, pretty much any game that’s identical in content to a retail cart, any third-party game (besides Squaresoft titles and unique demos), and, while I’m not certain of this but guessing this because of their rarity, most of the very early Satellaview releases. Soundlink games, of course, are gonna be locked right from the start.

5. Teressa Puertas said,

October 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Some genuinely quality articles on this site, bookmarked .

6. DarkKobold said,

January 25, 2013 at 12:19 am

OK, this seems like an absolutely incredibly easy fix.

Figure out the OP codes to write this into a game-genie program. Make sure the game genie writes these codes to where the cart would normally start.

MOV 0x00 0xFD5
    JMP -1

Write the code into a game genie, boom, automatically unlimited resetting. The NOP is just so you don’t get wonky writing, it would basically be frozen in one spot. Anyway, that was just my idea.

January 25, 2013 at 6:52 am

The last time I tried to interface a Game Genie with a BS-X cart, I couldn’t get the BS-X to boot at all. o.o;

Course, I suppose I could re-try, but, well, in the end Game Genies weren’t really designed for the Japanese SFC library in general.